3.19.2007

#1: Little Miss Sunshine












Directed Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris
Starring Greg Kinear, Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Abigail Breslin and Alan Arkin
A family determined to get their young daughter into the finals of a beauty pageant take a cross-country trip in their VW bus.

Yes, I intended to post this right after #2. When that didn't happen, yes, I intended to post this right after the Oscars whether it won or not (of course, I knew the underdog wouldn't win but one can hope, right?) In any case, here I am finally posting what I consider my favourite film of 2006. And I told myself, when I do post it, I would dissect it and analyze as to why this film worked for me on so many levels.

Now that I'm here, I'm drawing a blank. Or rather, I just don't feel like it. That isn't to say I feel more indifferent to the film from when I first came up with my list or even from when I first saw it in theatres (and aside from Superman Return, it's the only film I saw more than once.) I just don't feel like stringing together words to articulate how I felt about this film. So instead, I'll let you do it. Here is a series of adjectives I'd use to describe Little Miss Sunshine:

Charming
Delightful
Fun
Quirky
Adorable
Bittersweet
Engaging
Endearing
Heartwarming
Modest

1 comment:

JM said...

It was my #1 as well! Even after seeing it a few more times after having purchased the DVD, it's still my #1... but it may be an even tie with Children of Men.